Today I’m reviewing Yoga for the Inflexible Male: A How-To Guide. This is a great new book that is great for the man in your life. Or if you’re a man reading this (and we have many male readers!), be sure to check this book out. And if you want to learn more about yoga for men, or learn about the best yoga pants for men (so you can be stylish while doing your yoga), we’ve written in-depth blog posts on those topics also!
This book was written by “Yoga Matt” which is tongue in check and hint of what awaits you inside the book – LOL. The authors name is actually Roy Parvin, an award-winning fiction author of In the Snow Forest, and a recipient of a National Endowments for the Arts Grant in Literature.
Roy is also an elite cyclist. He experienced a bout of insomnia and found that yoga was so therapeutic and helped him sleep better that he became an evangelist of the ancient yoga practice but also wanted to make it more accessible for other men.
As any of us who practice yoga know, it has many benefits – greater strength, flexibility and presence of mind. But attending a yoga class, especially if you are new to the practice and/or inflexible, it is very intimidating!
Yoga for the Inflexible Male is a welcoming and humorous guide that walks you through three hour long yoga routines. Each routine has about a dozen yoga poses. The poses are illustrated and described in depth. And each pose shows variations to make them accessible to anyone, no matter how inflexible!
The book starts out with a very brief history of yoga. And by very brief, I mean only 2 pages! And then it goes through the 3 yoga routines which Roy refers to as Manly Yoga Practice 1, 2 and 3.
Some of the yoga poses he walks you through include:
- Seated Salute Pose and Hero Pose (virasana) with Forward Bend – to increase flexibility in your hips, knees and hamstrings.
- Staff Pose (Dandasana) with Forward Bend (paschimottanasana) – particularly good for loosening the hips.
- Cobbler’s Pose (Badda Konasana) with Forward Bend – for loosening the hips
- Wide Angle Pose (Upavistha) with Forward Bend – The 4th in the symmetrical pose series.
- Mountain Pose (Tadasana) and Forward Fold (Uttanasana) – the beginning of the sun salutation morning routine
- Chair Pose (Utkatanasana) with a Twist (Parivrtta Utkatanasana)
- Warrior 1 (Virabhadrasana 1)
- And many more yoga poses!
The second half of of the book contains sequences to help men with various sports. So the yoga is tailored to flexibility for specific activities:
- Yoga for Running
- Yoga for Cycling
- Yoga for Swimming
- Yoga for Basketball
- Yoga for Baseball and Softball
- Yoga for Golf
This book is an excellent introduction, in a fun and humorous way, to yoga for the “inflexible male.” It is a great gift for yourself or for the man or men in your life – your son, dad, partner, spouse, etc. This book will help make yoga less intimidating and its a great way to inspire the men you care about.
Yoga Accessories for The Inflexible Male
Also, these yoga accessories are ones you will need and help you follow along with the book. Here are our top picks.
Yoga Mat – This is our top recommendation for a high quality, inexpensive yoga mat.
Note: For inexpensive yoga mats, be sure to see our comprehensive review of
- Yoga Mats Under $50
- The Best Yoga Mat for Travel
- The 5 Best Non-Slip Yoga Mats for Hot Yoga
- Yogo Ultralight Travel Mats (the most portable yoga mat)
- Yoga Mats That Don’t Slip,
Yoga Strap – our top recommendation for a long yoga strap that comes in a variety of colors. A strap will help you more easily stretch your body to learn poses especially if you are not flexible.
Yoga Bolster – a yoga bolster is a cushion designed to support your body during yoga. It will help support your spin and relieve stress on your joints. This yoga bolster is available in a variety of colors.
Yoga blanket – This yoga blanket is handwoven and made in Mexico. It comes in a variety of great colors that you can use in any room in your house as a regular blanket or fashion accessory.