This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Golden milk, also known as turmeric tea, has been used in traditional ayurveda for thousands of years. Known for it’s many healing and medicinal properties, golden milk gets its magic (and vibrant color) from the addition of turmeric.
Turmeric is a spice you might be familiar with if you’re a fan of Indian food – it’s a common ayurvedic spice and a staple ingredient in a variety of Indian dishes. What might surprise you about turmeric, however, is the vast array of health benefits, due to it containing the compound, curcumin.
As you’ll see below, turmeric is pretty rad when it comes to improving your overall health and wellness. And if I was a betting type of person (which I am) I’d be willing to bet that you’ll want to start drinking golden milk after you’ve read the following:
Health Benefits of Turmeric
- Has strong anti-inflammatory properties
- Increases antioxidants in the body
- Improves brain function
- Detoxifies the liver
- May help to treat depression
- Has anti-cancer properties
- Promotes gut health
- Aides in weight management by regulating the metabolism
However, curcumin is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream unless consumed with black pepper (which is why the following easy golden milk recipe contains black pepper – there’s no use in consuming turmeric for it’s health benefits if your body can’t actually absorb it, right?)
Additionally, fat can help the body absorb curcumin, which is why you might want to consider using cow’s milk in this recipe. However, if you prefer to drink almond, soy, coconut milk, etc., then that’s also totally fine – just try to choose a milk that contains fat for maximum health benefits.
Easy Golden Milk Recipe
- 1 cup of milk (your choice)
- 1 tsp turmeric (buy in bulk from here)
- 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- Blend or whisk all ingredients together until combined
- Pour into a small saucepan and heat gently. You’ll want it to be hot but not boiling.
Latest posts by Ashli (see all)
- 5 Ayurvedic Weight Loss Drinks to Help You Lose Weight - June 21, 2018
- 5 Ayurvedic Herbs You Probably Already Have in Your Pantry + How to Use Them - June 21, 2018
- How to Lose Weight Without Going to the Gym - June 21, 2018