Traditional western methods of weight loss usually include practices like calorie-restricting, long, intense workout sessions every day, diet fads and weight loss pills.
The unfortunate truth is that these are not healthy, sustainable ways to lose weight and maintain weight loss. Far from being a weight loss fad or unsustainable, the principles of Ayurveda can help you to lose weight in a healthy, maintainable way.
Ayurveda doesn’t focus on quick, short-term solutions to things like weight loss – instead focusing on creating a healthy, sustainable way of living that encourages weight loss and discourages weight gain.
Having said that, there are a number of Ayurvedic weight loss drinks that contain some incredible ingredients that will help you shed pounds.
Digestion is the key to weight loss and good health. In Ayurveda, this is referred to as “Agni” meaning “fire.” Maintaining a strong “Agni” or digestive fire is paramount to our health, allowing us to remove “ama” or toxins in the body that accumulate from undigested food.
All of the following Ayurvedic weight loss drinks contain ingredients that help to promote a strong agni and remove ama from the body, which will help to keep your digestive fire strong and assist with weight loss.
- 1 Ayurvedic Weight Loss Drink #1 – Golden Milk
- 2 Ayurvedic Weight Loss Drink #2 – Triphala Tea
- 3 Ayurvedic Weight Loss Drink #3 – Mango Lassi
- 4 Ayurvedic Weight Loss Drink #4 – Detox Tea
- 5 Ayurvedic Weight Loss Drink #5 – Chai Latte
Ayurvedic Weight Loss Drink #1 – Golden Milk
Golden milk is a warming drink that contains turmeric, which is one of the most important spices known to humankind and packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. In Ayurvedic terms, turmeric is bitter, astringent and pungent in taste.
A study at Tufts University found that curcumin (an antioxidant found in turmeric) surpresses fat tissue growth in mice, and various studies have shown that curcumin can help to reduce high cholesterol, high blood pressure and keep blood sugar levels steady.
Golden Milk is very simple to make:
- 1 cup of organic whole milk
- 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
- Heat the milk in a saucepan over a medium heat
- Add the turmeric, stir
- Simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally
- Serve warm
While this is the simplest way to make golden milk, because turmeric has a bitter taste, it’s probably not the most palatable.
Feel free to add a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg or ginger to your golden milk. Alternatively, my favorite way to prepare golden milk is with this Raw & Root Golden Milk blend of spices, containing Ashwagandha to regulate the immune system and black pepper to increase the bodies absorption rate of turmeric.
Ayurvedic Weight Loss Drink #2 – Triphala Tea
Various studies have shown the weight loss effectiveness of triphala powder, which has long been used in Ayurveda as a way to tackle weight loss.
Triphala (meaning “three fruits” i.e. tri = three and phala = fruit) contains Amla, (also known as Indian gooseberry,) Haritaki, and Bibhitaki.
Benefits of Triphala
- Aids in digestion (remember the importance of a strong digestive fire, or “agni)
- Lowers cholesterol
- Reduces bloating by removing water weight
- Fights constipation (can act as a laxative)
- Eliminates toxins
- Contains five out of six Ayurvedic tastes (sweet, sour, bitter, pungent and astringent)
How to Take Triphala
Simple mix 1/2 – 1tsp of Triphala powder with warm water, stir well and drink first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. You can also add some organic ghee and honey to your Triphala tea.
Ayurvedic Weight Loss Drink #3 – Mango Lassi
If you’ve ever been to an Indian restaurant, chances are you’ve seen Mango Lassi on the menu. Lassi is perhaps the most popular, well-known Indian drink.
Made from fermented yogurt, Lassi contains millions of gut-healthy probiotics, which help to improve digestive function (again, remember the importance of “agni” in Ayurveda.) A strong, healthy digestive system helps to remove ama from the body, which assists in maintaining a healthy weight.
How to Make Mango Lassi:
- 1/2 cup diced mango
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup water
Blend all ingredients together and enjoy!
Ayurvedic Weight Loss Drink #4 – Detox Tea
Cumin, coriander and fennel are three commonly used Ayurvedic spices and combining the three gives this detox tea powerful digestive system benefits, which assists with weight loss.
How to Make Ayurvedic Detox Tea:
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 4 cups of water
- Add 4 cups of water to a saucepan and bring to a boil
- Add the cumin, coriander and fennel seeds
- Add lid to saucepan and boil for another 4-5 minutes
- Remove from heat, strain out seeds
- Sip on this detox tea throughout the day
Ayurvedic Weight Loss Drink #5 – Chai Latte
Chai latte’s are a favorite at cafe’s, but too often they’re full of artificial flavors, syrups, sugars, etc., which all work to negate the amazing health benefits of chai.
Not only does chai have amazing health benefits including aiding in weight loss, it’s the perfect warming drink for the cooler months – there’s not much better than curling up with a cup of warm, spiced Ayurvedic chai.
There are many different recipes for chai, but the following 3 ingredients are always included:
- Cinnamon – lowers blood sugar levels and can help to prevent increased storage of fat in the body
- Cloves – anti-inflammatory, regulates cholesterol and glucose levels, helps to keep you regular
- Cardamom – reduces water retention, regulates cholesterol
How to Make a Healthy Chai Latte
- 1 cup of milk (regular, or plant-based)
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan, and boil for approximately 5 minutes
- Pour into a mug with a teabag of your favorite tea (I like rooibos for a non-caffeinated Chai latte)