This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
I don’t know about you, but I love indulging in some dark chocolate after dinner. Even better is when it’s my favorite 3 ingredient heart healthy dark chocolate.
This homemade chocolate contains an abundance of healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
I make this 3 ingredient heart healthy dark chocolate at least once a week. My husband (who has a huge sweet tooth) and one-year-old son absolutely love it. Best of all, I can feel good knowing that they’re getting to enjoy a sweet treat after dinner that’s not full of questionable ingredients.
Another great thing about this homemade chocolate is that it takes about 5 minutes to make, the ratios can be adjusted depending on your tastebuds, and there’s a good chance you already have the ingredients on hand.
Before I dive into the recipe, let’s go over exactly why this homemade dark chocolate is so good for you.
Coconut oil is a bit of a superstar in the world of healthy living, and for good reason.
Here are just a few of the health benefits of coconut oil:
- Contains an abundance of heart healthy saturated fat. This healthy fat increases your “good” (HDL) cholesterol and lowers your “bad” (LDL) cholesterol by converting it to good cholesterol.
- Boosts your immune system, thanks to the lauric acid it contains, which has anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties.
- Helps to control hunger, due to it’s high levels of satiating fat.
If there’s a superfood that more than deserves it’s title, it’s definitely raw cacao powder.
Some of the impressive health benefits of raw cacao powder include:
- Extremely high in antioxidants
- Raises serotonin levels (i.e. it’s a great mood booster!)
- Contains an abundance of essential minerals, including iron, magnesium, calcium, zinc, phosphorus, sulfur, copper, manganese and potassium
3 Ingredient Heart Healthy Dark Chocolate
1/2 cup organic, unrefined coconut oil
1/4 cup certified organic cacao powder
3-4 tbsp 100% pure maple syrup
*Optional – goji berries, shredded, unsweetened coconut, cacao nibs, crushed nuts
- Melt coconut oil
- Stir in cacao powder and maple syrup
- Adjust ingredients to taste
- Pour mixture on a baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Sprinkle with optional toppings
- Place in freezer to set
This chocolate is best kept in the freezer, otherwise it will melt.
If you make this recipe, please leave me a comment below.