With age come dark spots, wrinkles, dryness, and dullness that many people want to overcome. But no need to worry! Some skincare products contain ingredients like Mandelic acid that can address these specific skin concerns while improving your appearance.
Read on to learn more about Mandelic acid and why it is considered a holy grail for aging skin.
- 1 Mandelic Acid – Everything You Need to Know About this Anti-Aging Serum
- 1.1 What Is Mandelic Acid?
- 1.2 Mandelic Acid Benefits For Your Skin
- 1.3 How To Use Mandelic Acid In Your Beauty Routine
- 2 Our Review of The Best Mandelic Acid Treatments
Mandelic Acid – Everything You Need to Know About this Anti-Aging Serum
What Is Mandelic Acid?
Mandelic acid is quite a popular ingredient used in skincare products. It is actually a form of a much-loved skincare ingredient, alpha hydroxy acid (AHA). Mandelic acid is a type of AHA that improves your skin’s appearance by loosening the links between affected skin cells (also known as desmosomes) to let the cells shed naturally, resulting in a brighter and fresher complexion.
This form of alpha hydroxy acid is obtained from almonds and is great for skin exfoliation. It is usually present in combination with other ingredients and exfoliates the skin to improve its texture. However, it also increases your skin’s sensitivity to the sun. So you should always use any kind of AHA with sunscreen.
What makes it different from other types of AHA, such as glycolic acid, is its molecular structure. Mandelic acid has a larger molecular weight that penetrates into the skin more slowly, which makes it a little more gentle on the skin. It is known to be the mildest chemical exfoliant for your skin, as compared to lactic acid and glycolic acid.
Mandelic Acid Benefits For Your Skin
Mandelic acid is all the rage today due to its numerous benefits for your skin. Read on to learn about its promising benefits.
1. It Drives Cell Turnover
Mandelic acid is a powerful exfoliant that gets rid of all the dead skin cells and accelerates cell turnover. Due to its exfoliation properties, it is found in various chemical peels. It releases the skin cells that are attached to the skin’s surface, reducing signs of skin damage.
2. It Is Gentle on the Skin
One of the many benefits of Mandelic acid is that it is milder on the skin as compared to other AHAs, which makes it the best choice for people who have sensitive skin. Since Mandelic acid’s molecular structure is the largest, it is the most gentle form of AHA that penetrates your skin at a slower rate. Therefore, it is less irritating for your skin.
3. It Promotes Collagen Production
Mandelic acid improves your skin’s experience by driving collagen production. Collagen is a connective tissue and the main product found in your skin. Although results for the people using Mandelic acid vary, many people notice a difference in the appearance and complexion of their skin.
4. It Brightens Skin
Exfoliation brightens your skin, but Mandelic acid takes it a step further by making your skin strong so that it stays bright for a longer time.
5. It Reduces Hyperpigmentation
Mandelic acid reduces hyperpigmentation on your skin by increasing cell turnover and reducing the appearance of sun damage and dark spots.
How To Use Mandelic Acid In Your Beauty Routine
Mandelic acid is usually added in skincare serums and face creams. If you are a beginner at using Mandelic acid, here is how you can safely use it on your skin:
- Always start with the lowest concentration:You should start with a serum having a low concentration of Mandelic acid as using a higher concentration will result in skin redness, irritation, and breakouts, especially if you have sensitive skin or active acne. Moreover, using a higher concentration of Mandelic acid on dry skin can make your skin even drier due to irritation.
- Gradually increase the frequency of use: Initially, you should only use it once a day to notice how your skin reacts to the concentration of the acid that you are using. If there is no reaction, you can gradually increase the usage to twice a day using the same concentration of Mandelic acid. If you notice that your skin is tolerating the concentration well, gradually increase the concentration and keep applying it twice a day.
- Apply Mandelic acid all over your face: Instead of using Mandelic acid as a spot treatment, you should use it all over your face for an evened-out result. Apply it all over your face to see similar results in all areas.
- Make sure it absorbs into your skin:Mandelic acid has a larger molecular structure which makes it slower to penetrate. Therefore, it requires longer to absorb into your skin. To make sure it works, massage it into your skin thoroughly to ensure that it is completely absorbed. Just splashing it on your skin and then applying the next product won’t do the trick. Allow it time to penetrate into your skin. Massage it deeply using your fingertips, a derma roller, or a face massager for about ten minutes to achieve the best results.
Safety Precautions for Using Mandelic Acid
Now that you know how you should apply Mandelic acid to your skin, you should also know about the safety precautions you should take to ensure that it is the right product for your skin.
- Always do a patch test with the lowest concentration of the product. To do a patch test, apply some of it on your chin to see if there is any harmful reaction by the next day. If you notice any swelling, itching, or redness on your skin, do not use it.
- Make sure to use good sunscreen. Using chemical exfoliants makes your skin extra vulnerable to UV rays. That is because these products make your skin sensitive. If you step out in the sun without using sunscreen, you can end up burning it and even get hyperpigmentation. Make sure to apply a high SPF sunscreen to keep your skin safe from the sun’s rays.
Make sure to follow these safety products to ensure that your skin does not act out when it is first exposed to Mandelic acid. Start by using Mandelic acid in your evening skincare routine. Apply it after you cleanse your skin and before you apply a moisturizer. Make sure you use small amounts of Mandelic acid and apply it by gently massaging it into your skin with your fingertips. Let it completely absorb before you apply the moisturizer.
You can use Mandelic acid to treat a variety of skin concerns, including enlarged pores, acne scarring, acne, signs of aging, and hyperpigmentation due to sun exposure. It addresses these concerns by increasing your cell turnover, which tends to get slower as you age.
Below, we have reviewed the top 3 Mandelic acid treatments that you can try.
Our Review of The Best Mandelic Acid Treatments
The Vivant Skin Care 3% Mandelic Acid 3-in-1 serum reduces signs of aging, hyperpigmentation, and acne by gently exfoliating the skin. It is formulated with lactic and Mandelic acids that resurface and illuminate your skin slowly to offer a rejuvenated texture. It is an ideal serum for people who are starting an exfoliation regimen.
This serum targets the top three skin concerns: aging, acne, and pigmentation. It is safe to use for all skin types and is highly rated by its customers. However, it should be used consistently to see the desired results.
- An exceptional MULTI-PURPOSE clarifying toner that REFINES the surface of the skin and penetrates deep into pores to REMOVE dirt, oil, makeup and pore-clogging dead skin cells
- Contains anti-oxidant, FREE RADICAL FIGHTING INGREDIENTS that promote exfoliation permitting corrector serums to penetrate the skin more efficiently and for results to appear faster
- Excellent for skin of all hues, dry or sensitive skin and skin too sensitive for Benzoyl Peroxide and glycolics
- Cruelty free, non-comedogenic and anti-bacterial toner
- From award winning DERMATOLOGIST and FORMULATOR, James E. Fulton M.D., Ph.D., co-developer of Retin A
The Wishtrend Malic Acid 5% is a gentle exfoliator that contains 5% Mandelic acid, Panthenol, Beta-Glucan, and Centella Asiatica Extract to offer moisture and soothe your skin after it is peeled. It is a low-irritant skincare product that is ideal for normal, oily, dry, and combination skin types. It targets dullness, pores, acne, blemishes, and uneven texture and smooths your skin.
This is a really affordable serum that you can add to your skincare regimen without breaking your bank. It may sting a little if you have open acne scars. Therefore, you should not directly apply it to open acne.
The Naturium Mandelic Topical Acid 12% is a serum for the whole body that can be used for oily, combination, dry, normal, and sensitive skin types. It comes with Mandelic acid, niacinamide, and natural fruit AHAs to gently exfoliate all types of skins and address hyperpigmentation and dark spots that are caused by photoaging and blemishes. It is a leave-on acid that features a non-irritating formula that slowly penetrates into your skin and drives collagen production.
This is one of the most affordable and highest potency Mandelic acid serum available in the market that is safe for all skin types and tones. The formula is 100% paraben-free, gluten-free, vegan, non-toxic, and fragrance-free. They also offer a 30-day money-back guarantee with no questions asked!
- ANTI-AGING, SKIN BRIGHTENING: Our skin perfecting, leave-on acid gently exfoliates skin to target the looks of fine lines and discoloration caused by blemishes and photoaging.
- DEVELOPED FOR ALL SKIN TYPES: Perfect for sensitive, dry, acne prone, aging, and combination skin to be used a few times a week. For best results, apply on clean skin and follow with moisturizer.
- INNOVATIVE FORMULA: Our formula contains Mandelic Acid, a slow penetrating alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), which prevents skin irritation while stimulating collagen production.
- BIOCOMPATIBLE & DERMATOLOGIST TESTED: Naturium skincare is formulated with both potent natural ingredients & advanced synthetic ingredients. They utilize efficacious levels of active ingredients, are pH level appropriate, & are thoroughly tested for safety.
- CLEAN FORMULATION, NON-TOXIC: Cruelty free, paraben free, vegan, gluten free, fragrance free & non-toxic. Made with the highest-quality botanical, earth & marine-based ingredients combined with non-toxic-to-skin alternatives & advanced science.