Baron Baptiste is the founder of the Baptiste Institute and creator of Baptiste Power Yoga. His parents are among the pioneers of yoga in the United States. Baron’s father was his first teacher, who introduced him to yoga at a young age. He is known for having developed a style of yoga called Baptiste Yoga, which is a combination of meditation, poses, and self-inquiry (a technique for finding inner peace).
Baron Baptiste’s Journey Towards Self-Realization
Baron Baptiste’s teaching style and impactful power yoga poses are popular among the masses, but it was difficult for him to reach this stage in life.
As a young child, the feeling of loneliness was dominant, detaching him from the world. His parents were different from others, so his familial bond was different too. Due to the way his parents lived their life, Baron had a lot of freedom, yet no one to share it with.
Other kids made fun of him for being different, and he remembers feeling constantly embarrassed and ashamed. The feelings of loneliness soon turned into resilience and a habit of drug use.
Since the mainstream lifestyle didn’t suit him, Baron became a teenager who failed school and hung around with kids who had bad habits.
Despite that, he continued practicing yoga throughout his childhood and teenage years. His father, being his first teacher, taught him how to serve people naturally. Another important person in his life was a yoga teacher, who taught him the power of athletic yoga.
View this post on Instagram
The loneliness from his childhood returned after separating from his wife, but this time it didn’t turn into resentment. Before his divorce, Baron had learned a new way of meditation that focused on observing thoughts. He employed this method to reflect on his life and came up with shocking truths, including his anger toward his father for not being there for him.
It took forgiving his father wholeheartedly for Baron to let go of his anger and step towards a better lifestyle. He realized that his anger had served its purpose, but now it was time to move on—and so he did.
After realizing there’s more to life than his anger towards a few people, Baron started exploring Zen Buddhism and Christian and Judaic mysticism. He began practicing meditation to taste the real freedom in life—forgiveness and taking ownership. Now, Baron is a grateful man who does not let resentment or anger push him around. He feels blessed for his three intelligent sons and hopes the higher power will keep him grateful forever.
Only after separating himself from the anger towards his parents was Baron able to realize that his negative thoughts had more power over him than he had on them. The awareness was enough to help him realize how to separate himself from those thoughts and take back control.
Baron Baptiste Yoga
One of Baron Baptiste’s greatest achievements in life is Baptiste yoga. With a combination of immersive yoga training programs, Baron teaches people how to lead a yogi’s life from anywhere in the world without leaving the comfort of home. Here are the programs formed by Baptiste Power Yoga Institute:
Level One: Journey Into Power Teacher Training & Immersion
Weekly live sessions that take place over Zoom calls. The purpose of Level One training is to help people build their voices and learn the methodology of Baptiste Power Yoga.
View this post on Instagram
Level Two: Intermediate Training
Level Two training takes Level One a step further to make trainees more confident in their leadership skills. The training helps them advance their skills in leading people in the practice of Baptiste yoga.
Other Baptiste Yoga programs include
- Teacher’s Edge – A digital Yoga Instructor Credential course.
- Personal Revolution Challenge – A 12-Day challenge program.
- Momentum Nation – Monthly subscription program.
- The Power of Play – A 4-week yoga Bootcamp with Baron Baptiste.
- Perfectly Imperfect – A program with 40 guided video sessions.
Baron Baptiste Books
Baron Baptiste has authored several books, some more popular than others. Below are a few of his best sellers:
Perfectly Imperfect: The Art and Soul of Yoga Practice
The book serves as an inspiration for yoga practitioners who want to learn Baptiste yoga beyond the foundations. Baron talks about the state of mind and body after getting into a yoga pose and what true transformation feels like.
Journey Into Power: How to Sculpt Your Ideal Body, Free Your True Self, and Transform Your Life with Yoga
A perfect introduction to the powerful and gentle Baptiste yoga that not only transforms the body but also strengthens the mind. Reading this book can help you lose unwanted pounds, gain mental clarity, and practice composure.
View this post on Instagram
Baron Baptiste Quotes
1. “Yoga is a dance of dealing with what is, and allowing yourself to fully experience whatever you’re experiencing right here, in the moment. In life, we so often resist what we don’t like or don’t want to do. Here, on your mat, is a safe opportunity to see what’s on the other side of that. Physical asana is a measure of some higher possibility. Put your attention on what you want to have happen and be for it, and watch the magic unfold.” – Baron Baptiste
2. “When you focus on the problems, you get more of the same. What you focus on you create.” – Baron Baptiste
3. “The less I’m in a hurry, the quicker the results seem to happen. With patience, the quality of my experience has a depth that can’t be measured by the clock, but by the timelessness of my experience.” – Baron Baptiste
4. You have thoughts, but you are not your thoughts – and they definitely don’t have to run the show.” – Baron Baptiste
5. “Principle I: We Are Either Now Here or Nowhere.” – Baron Baptiste
6. “There is a Turkish proverb that says, “No matter how far you have gone down a wrong road, turn back,” and that is exactly what I did. It was painful, but also one of the most beautiful things I have ever experienced.” – Baron Baptiste
7. “When you change your focus from limitations to boundless possibilities, from doubt and fear to love and confidence, you open your world in entirely new ways. You stop worrying about fixing what’s wrong with you and start living from all that’s right within you.” – Baron Baptiste
8. “Transformation comes not by adding things on but by removing what didn’t belong in the first place.” – Baron Baptiste
9. “Yoga is a perfectly imperfect practice, and the very next day we may hit a plateau that can slow us down or even stall us indefinitely. You know you have flow in your practice when you reach such a plateau and don’t automatically react with frustration and anger.” – Baron Baptiste
10. “I see a real yogi as someone who is committed to growth and being the best version of themselves, and, at the same time, is courageous enough to be fully present and authentic in each moment. Someone who is not afraid to get real about the whole mess of who they are – the good, the bad, and the ugly.” – Baron Baptiste
11. “We live in a world that teaches the importance of ambition, efficiency, expediency, getting things done to produce the quickest results. It does not teach or encourage us to relax and just be where we are. In fact, if we are not crazy active and doing a million different things, we get labeled as lazy or unambitious.” – Baron Baptiste
12. “All the work you’ve done up until now has been to lead you to this precise moment, to face precisely what you’re facing.” – Baron Baptiste
13. “Be a drop, a stream, or a raging river – it doesn’t matter which form you take, as long as you remain in the flow.” – Baron Baptiste
14. “There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning. KRISHNAMURTI I.” – Baron Baptiste
20-Minute Power Yoga Class with Baron Baptiste | lululemon
Join global yoga ambassador Baron Baptiste in a strength-based yoga practice to build power.
Baron Baptiste has learned to let go of his resentment and anger collected through a lifetime of challenges. First, he practiced separating thoughts from himself, and then he taught the same practice to others.
In his yoga classes and training programs, he emphasizes transforming one’s life by not becoming an ideal version of yourself but by bringing out the perfect version that’s been there the whole time.
Baron Baptiste – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Where Is Baron Baptiste?
Baron Baptiste has yoga studios in Utah, Cambridge, and Massachusetts. He divides his time between the three locations.
What Is Baptiste Methodology?
Baptiste yoga has 53 asanas or poses linked together by momentum. The practice also incorporates meditation and self-inquiry to increase the benefits of Baptiste Power Yoga.
What Are the 5 Pillars of Baptiste Yoga?
The five pillars of Baptiste yoga are: Vinyasa, Tapas, Bandhas, Ujjayi, and Drishti, which mean flow, heat, foundation, breath, and gaze, respectively.